Saving a Monarch

Short Video of Monarch In Spider Web

Here is a short video my JoJo captured, and insisted on saving this monarch!

video

Tattered Wings

This poor monarch butterfly's wing was all torn and ripped! After getting the monarch out of the spider web, JoJo put it on my pink zinnia immediately.

We kept close eyes on this butterfly for a while without interfering, and watched it struggling with slow movement.

Trying to Recover

Can you see how bad one of the wings was? The important part of this monarch's body was unharmed and I knew it would just take time for it to find its way.

Moving Around

Sure enough, after a few minutes, the monarch made it way to another part of the zinnia plant. JoJo felt much better about this ordeal. When we came back from soccer practice, the butterfly was no longer there. We looked, no butterfly anywhere on the ground!

Participating in Nature Footstep-Winged, Camera Critters, and Macro Monday!

♥~Judy~♥ September 13, 2011 8:28 am

This just goes to show what a strong impact you have made on Jo Jo. He is so giving and loving, like you! Wonderful pics and amazing story; such a great way to start my day. Blessings!!

betchai September 13, 2011 4:19 pm

thanks to you and Jojo for the modeling of saving a monarch, Jojo sure is growing up with such a caring heart, and like what Judy said, you are such an example Icy.

RNSANE September 14, 2011 1:18 am

You know, California is full of Monarchs. Thanks to JoJo for saving this poor butterfly that would have been a spider's dinner, I'm sure. I know this is the way of nature but I would have been so sad! Hurrah for JoJo! He has learned his respect for God's creatures from Mama, I'm sure.

Diane AZ September 14, 2011 7:12 am

Wonderful post! Hooray for JoJo for saving the monarch! :D

Anne Lyken-Garner September 14, 2011 10:59 am

What a lovely story, Icy. Your boy is a true gem. I'm sure the butterfly found its way and flew off to somewhere safe.

Ingmarie We September 14, 2011 2:03 pm

So nice you saved the monarch. We don't have monarchs here in Sweden, but I have seen them abroad. They are so colourful and impressive. It is amazing to see the butterflies flying around, with the damages of their wings. Very fine photos.

Poetic Shutterbug September 14, 2011 2:43 pm

Oh Icy, that video clip is heartbreaking to see. How wonderful is JoJo to try and save that beautiful monarch. Beautiful post.

forgetmenot September 16, 2011 1:09 am

So sweet that your son had that kind of concern for the monarch butterfly. He is truly seeing the beauty of nature and learning to appreciate it and care for it. Mickie :)

Cheryl September 17, 2011 11:51 am

Dramatic rescue. Hope the monarch made its way to safe ground.

ladyfi September 17, 2011 1:31 pm

Oh, what a poor tattered wing. But well done for rescuing it.

Tatjana Parkacheva September 17, 2011 1:55 pm

So good and nice you saved the monarch.

Regards and best wishes

eileeninmd September 17, 2011 4:19 pm

Very nice of you and JoJo to save the monarch! They are beautiful butterflies.

Pat Tillett September 18, 2011 3:17 pm

Great job! I love these things.
In a few weeks we'll be up Pismo Beach where a ton of them stop on their migration.